Friday, July 5, 2013

10 Questions - Betty Brabrand

This is the second installment of my series if interviews to help us get to know each other better. This month we are getting to know Betty Brabrand. Selecting Betty for July was not by accident as you will see in question #4. Quilt Bingo to benefit Relay for Life is July 12 at 7pm at the Montpelier Center.

Betty in her sewing room/sunroom. She has great lighting and a spectacular view.

1. If you live in Hanover (or the area), how many generations of your family have lived here and how did they come to settle here? If you moved here, where are you from and what brought you here?

My family has been here for four generations. I grew up here in Montpelier and I live next door to my childhood home.
 
 
2. When you were young what did you plan to be when you grew up and what happened with those plans?

After graduating from Longwood College, I taught Home Economics for 8 years. I taught in Powhatan County, where I met my husband, Andy(We celebrated our 44th anniversary this year.), and also in Henrico County. Later, I learned enough accounting to help with Andy's Tax and Accounting business.
 

3. What are your favorite things to do in the area?

Spending time with our 5 grandchildren is at the top of my list!
I enjoy going to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. It is a great place to take a relaxing walk. I also enjoy taking their classes in floral design.
 

4. What hobbies or activities do you do other than quilting? Where do you do them? How did you get involved with them?

For 13 years, Linda Mallory, my sister-in-law, and I have been co-captains of our Hopeful Church Relay for Life team. Our fundraising efforts benefit The American Cancer Society.Two of the five Bingo events at The Montpelier Center each year are fundraisers for Relay for Life. Quilt Bingo has been a great event, thanks to all the wonderful donations from our CSQ friends! The next Quilt Bingo is July 12, at 7pm at The Montpelier Center! The Longaberger Basket Bingo will be November 15.
I became involved because I am a breast cancer survivor and many friends and family members have had cancer. I hope we can help fund a cure!

Some of the great quilts that will be prizes for Quilt Bingo.

 
5. As a child what was your nickname and how did you get it? Do people still call you by that name?

My given name is Elizabeth May(from both grandmothers). As many children of the South, I grew up being called by both names Betty(nickname) and May(middle name). Lots of family and folks I grew up with still call me Betty May.

6. What saying best describes how you like to live your life?

What could be better than The Golden Rule? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

7. Show us a photo (or photos) of where you create.

I sew in our sunroom and store fabric and supplies in the basement.

8. Show us a photo of the quilt that’s on your bed right now.


This quilt is made from blocks in a "Second Sunday" series from Quilter's Corner.

9. What quilt is your least favorite quilt. Not necessarily the ugliest but the one that you liked the least or struggled with the most or just plain hated making. Why did you choose this one? Do you have a photo of it?

I don't have a least favorite...I think all quilts have merit!

10. What is your all time favorite quilt and why? Do you have a photo of it?



My favorite quilt was made by my paternal grandmother, Rosa. It is a utility "summer quilt"(no batting). I remember it being on the bed I slept in when I visited her home.

Thank you, Betty!

No comments:

Post a Comment