Wednesday, April 2, 2014

10 Questions - Karen Arbaugh

Is there anyone in our group with more energy than Karen Arbaugh? I'm convinced that half of our member some each month just to see how may quilts Karen has made in the previous month. Without a doubt, she is the most prolific and generous quilter among us.

Let's learn more about her...

2014-02-11 19.39.16

1. If you live in Hanover (or the area), how many generations of your family have lived here and how did they come to settle here? If you moved here, where are you from and what brought you here?
 I was born in Wilmington, Delaware, we moved to Amelia,Va. due to my father's job when I was 1 yr. old, moved to Hanover when I was 9 yrs. old. I have lived in Hanover ever since except for a year in Henrico Co. when I was first married.
2. When you were young what did you plan to be when you grew up and what happened with those plans?
    
My desire was always to be a wife, homemaker, mother, teacher. I feel blessed to have been able to realize those dreams.  While my children were in school I was a substitute teacher, later I taught quilting in a variety of places.
3. What are your favorite things to do in the area?
Go to antique malls & shops to see old quilts, go to quilt shows, enjoy the mountains and ocean
4. What’s your favorite meal?
    
 Most any meal shared with friends or family. and trying new dishes.

5. What hobbies or activities do you do other than quilting? Where do you do them? How did you get involved with.

Knitting & reading.  I read on a daily basis and can read for hours if I'm not careful.  I've done some form of needlework since sewing my first pincushion at age 5, but they all fell by the wayside when I started quilting, except for knitting.
    

6. What’s your favorite vacation spot? Where do you want to go next?

 My last vacation was 8 yrs. ago and  have no plans for a vacation but if I did it would be ocean or mountains.

7. What saying best describes how you like to live your life?

Co.3:23 do whatever you do heartily as to the Lord  and Matt.7:12 do to others as you want them to do to you.
8. Show us a photo (or photos) of where you create.






9. Show us a photo of the quilt that’s on your bed right now.



10. What is your all time favorite quilt and why? Do you have a photo


Every quilt is a favorite while I'm making it; I love the process.  But one I have especially enjoyed is a Princess Feather I made many years ago.  It was the first quilt I designed (though certainly not original) after seeing a photo in a museum catalog. I taped together newsprint to get the size I needed then kept sketching (I am NO artist by any means) until it looked pleasing to me, then cut out all the pieces and needle-turn appliqued them, then hand quilted in 1 inch cross hatching with echo quilting around the swag border.  I still remember the sense of accomplishment that quilt provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment