Thursday, March 3, 2016

10 Questions - Vicki Brannan

This month we get to meet Vicki Brannan. Vicki has only been a member for a few years but has been very active from the beginning. She recently helped us earn some money off of our old officer quilts be selling one just before Christmas in the Ashland Antique Mall. Now we have more money for backing and batting for our veterans quilts!


1. If you live in Hanover (or the area), how many generations of your family have lived here and how did they come to settle here? If you moved here, where are you from and what brought you here?
I have lived in Hanover County my entire life (50 years).  I am third generation Hanovian. My Great-Grandparents bought a farm in Rockville for my Grandparents in the 1920's and my Grandfather was the Minister in the 30's and early 40's in Louisa and Hanover. They Farmed the land until the mid 1950's.  I have lived in Ashland, Rockville and Glen Allen and graduated from Patrick Henry High School in 1983.  I know live on the old farm my grandparents use to own.
 
 
2. When you were young what did you plan to be when you grew up and what happened with those plans?
I didn't have any specific plans, I just knew that I wanted to get a job in the business field.
 
3. Tell us a little about your family.
I have two younger brothers (5 years and 11 years younger), between them they have 9 children. They range from 24 years to 12 years old. Both my brothers families and my husband and I live on the old farm my grandparents use to live on.  We are far enough away from each other that we often have no idea what each are doing.
 
4. What are your favorite things to do in the area?
My husband and I love to go to flea markets, estate sales, antiques sales, farmers market.  We also like to go to local parks and drive country side.  We also enjoy fishing trips and often look for different places to try, both fresh and salt water.
 
5. What’s your favorite meal?
Anything Seafood, especially when near the ocean.
 
6. What hobbies or activities do you do other than quilting? Where do you do them? How did you get involved with them?
I started Cross-Stitching when I was 16 and learn this from a friend in high school.  I do mostly large items and have a cross stitch from my father made me that I have set up at home.
I also do a little crochet as well as other crafty items.  We also like to go to Large Flea Market events- like the endless yard sale in Tennessee, 301 Yard Sale in North Carolina and 100 mile yard sale in Spotsylvania.
 
7. What’s your favorite vacation spot? Where do you want to go next?
My Favorite Vacation spot is Myrtle Beach, there are so many different things to do.
We would like to go to Florida or back to Louisiana someday.
 
8. What saying best describes how you like to live your life?
No matter what happens keep going.
 
9. Tell us about your sewing space and please give us some photos.
I am in the process of converting one bedroom into a Sewing/Craft Room.  I don't have a photo yet as the room is not complete yet. 
I have to do my sewing at a table in the living room right now.

 10. Show us a photo of the quilt that’s on your bed right now.
 
I don't have a quilt on my bed at this time.  I usually only use in the summer time and I have not changed to my summer quilts yet.
 
11. What is your all time favorite quilt and why? Do you have a photo of it?
My Favorite the Amish Quilt I bought in Lancaster PA about 10 years ago.  The Black Roman Strips Quote. I have it hanging in my Living Room. It's in the picture above.
 
Vicki send along several photos of her beautiful cross-stitch pieces.





 
 

1 comment: