Thursday, December 5, 2013

10 Questions - Cathy Williams

If you are at all active in the club you already know Cathy Williams. She and her husband, Ron, own Williams Bakery and they are very active in the WHEAT Food Pantry. Let's see if you can find out something new about Cathy.



1. If you live in Hanover (or the area), how many generations of your family have lived here and how did they come to settle here? If you moved here, where are you from and what brought you here?
 I have lived in Hanover County for 36 years. My husband was raised in Mechanicsville and I now have a son and granddaughter that live in Mechanicsville. I was born in LynchburgVirginia. Obviously, I moved here with my husband of almost 39 years. It is a great place to live and raise a family.  

2. When you were young what did you plan to be when you grew up and what happened with those plans?
 I don’t recall ever thinking about it. I always wanted children and a place to garden and sew. I have all of those things. I am a blessed individual.

3. What are your favorite things to do in the area?
My husband and I enjoy theater, music, surf fishing, gardening and having fun with our church family. We enjoy our adult children and grandchildren and have a lot of fun with them when they visit.

4. What hobbies or activities do you do other than quilting? Where do you do them? How did you get involved with them? If I am not sewing or at church, which is my second home, you will find me in a garden, not particularly my own. I garden at church and lead a community garden effort to feed hungry families in Western Hanover with some of my church friends. The community garden vegetables were delivered to WHEAT’s Open Pantry for distribution. I also can and freeze produce from my garden. I have a jam and jelly business when I get fruit from my garden.
There is a great need for community gardens everywhere. Anyone can provide produce from their garden to help someone who cannot grow crops for whatever reason. It is very important to feed food insecure neighbors good nutritious garden foods.   

5. What’s your favorite vacation spot? Where do you want to go next? We fish a lot in South Hatteras. It is one of the most beautiful spots on earth.  have a dream upon retirement of visiting as many National Parks as possible with the time we have left. Of course, I will take hand work with me.

6. As a child what was your nickname and how did you get it? Do people still call you by that name? My name is Mary Catherine. My mother called me Cathy. I have always been called Cathy.

7. What saying best describes how you like to live your life? Sadly, cautious. I married a very uncautious person. We try to balance each other out. I also like to live my life as a mother and grandmother. I birthed 3 sons and 2 daughters. My husband and I have 9 grandchildren…6 girls and 3 boys. My husband and I are expecting our 10th grandchild in April. They are all beautiful and wonderful and sooo smart...and I make a lot of quilts for them.   

8. Show us a photo (or photos) of where you create.

Kathy loves her Pfaff sewing machine so much that she bought a spare off eBay in case this one ever dies.

Cathy hand quilted this quilt. When she retired it from her bed she hung it in her sewing room where it inspires her every day.


9. What quilt is your least favorite quilt. Not necessarily the ugliest but the one that you liked the least or struggled with the most or just plain hated making. Why did you choose this one? Do you have a photo of it?
 I do not have a least favorite quilt. I have never met a quilt that I didn’t like. Each is it’s own effort. Anyone that makes a quilt is a very wonderful person and I appreciate each one…quilt and quilt maker.


Cathy is making this landscape I-Spy for one of her granddaughters for Christmas.

10. What is your all time favorite quilt and why? 
I have an antique quilt that my oldest son gave me 2 years ago. He purchased it in an antique store in Philadelphia. He called me and described it to the best of his ability and I told him to get it and I would pay him back. I was so happy he expressed an interest in what I do and love. He later wrapped it in a brown paper bag and gave it to me as a gift. I love it. I put a label on it stating where I had gotten it. It is a traditional log cabin quilt. It’s just great   

No comments:

Post a Comment