Saturday, September 28, 2024

NEW QUILTING TOOL

A digital scale is my new quilting tool - it was in my kitchen!  Hope this information helps you in counting quilt pieces. 

I thought it would be fun to make a very scrappy veteran quilt that would be a project that would take me longer to make.

These two blocks make an interesting design, so I started cutting pieces for 9 inch blocks.  The quilt will be 45 x 54, so I’ll add borders. Two color quilts are so much faster with strip piecing, cutting multiple layers at a time, etc., but I wanted the “scrappy” look – the more the better, right? That means getting out a lot of fabrics and only cutting several pieces of each one – pressing, cutting, refolding, putting away, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Okay, so now I have stacks of each shape. Have I cut enough? The quilt uses a total of 630 pieces and I don’t want to do all that counting so I came up with a new tool to do the work for me.  That new quilting tool is a digital scale from the kitchen.

Here's what I did:  weigh 10 pieces.  10 pieces weigh 8 grams


Then I added the 10 pieces back to the stack and it weighed 96 grams. 



So the math would be 96 g divided by 8 g = 12.  Each twelve grams is 10 pieces so 12 x 10 = 120 pieces of fabric.  A little math does all the counting.

I can stop cutting now and start sewing, because I have enough for TWO quilts!

                                          🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵

 




1 comment: